Training: Intro to Facilitating Forum Theatre
Intro to Facilitating Forum Theatre
(Level 1 Joker Training)
Dates: June 10-12, 2022. Training will take place from 10am-5pm each day.
Location: We have yet to secure a location but the training will take place somewhere in NYC. Proof of full vaccination will be required to attend this training. We are opening up applications now so that folks can start to make travel plans.
Facilitators: Spark LeoNimm & Liz Morgan
This training is for community organizers, artists and engaged community members who plan to apply Forum Theatre to engage groups in action towards social change. Participants will experience TONYC's process of creating forum troupes in partnership with local groups, and of engaging spect-actors in Forum and Legislative Theatre. This process is being adapted to support social distancing and other public health considerations.
The three day workshop journeys through the process of building and performing a Forum Theatre play from start to finish. This includes playing games from the arsenal of Theatre of the Oppressed; telling and choosing stories of oppression; using Aesthetics of the Oppressed to explore the story and the issues; and applying rehearsal exercises. We will examine the theory and politics of the work while staying firmly rooted in practice. Participants may have the opportunity to practice jokering a Forum play and teaching back the games to the group. We will take time to address a variety of questions that arise when facilitating this work. Participants will receive a packet of notes from the training that includes games, exercises, and an outline for jokering a forum performance.
Please note - because this training is a collaborative process with other members of the workshop, we request that participants attend for the full training time.
Application: APPLY HERE Applications received by May 23rd will receive a response by May 31st, and will need to confirm their spot by June 3rd and send a non-refundable $50 deposit.
- If a group or organization is planning to apply for a group of participants, please submit individual applications, and include your affiliation in the “About Me” section. You are welcome to email Liz Morgan at [email protected] with questions about applications and payment.
This training is priced on a sliding scale. You can apply to pay based on your financial means, the value you wish to receive, or your desire to support.
- Standard Rate: $450.00
- Half-Price Scholarship rate: $200.00 (limited availability)
- Supportive rate: $600.00 (for those who have the personal privilege or institutional backing to subsidize our wider community learning)
- Payment information: A non-refundable $50 deposit is required to reserve your spot. The balance of your workshop fee is due June 6th. Training fees paid to TONYC are non-refundable after June 6th and may not be credited to a future training. Exceptions will only be considered at TONYC's discretion.
- Advance payment of workshop fees supports TONYC in opening spots to people on the waiting list. If your access to funds means you need a payment plan or adjusted payment schedule, please contact Liz Morgan at [email protected].