Apply to be a Joker with TONYC!Oct. 01, 2018
Photo: TONYC Jokers Gariyana Williams, Mike Gonzalez, and Adama Diallo at Legislative Theatre. Photo by Ali Garber.
Job Description: Joker, Theatre of the Oppressed NYC
Deadline to apply: December 3, 2018. Applications are closed.
Expected Start Date: January orientation meetings and trainings
What We Do: Theatre of the Oppressed NYC (TONYC) partners with communities facing discrimination to inspire transformative action through theatre. Through partnerships with social service organizations, advocacy groups and city agencies, TONYC forms theatre troupes with community members who face pressing social, economic, and human rights issues. The troupes create and perform plays based on real-life struggles, engaging audiences in theatrical brainstorming - or Forum and Legislative Theatre - to creatively challenge systems of oppression.
Work With Us: Theatre of the Oppressed NYC (TONYC) is looking for 1-2 experienced facilitators to join our Joker team this year. Jokers facilitate rehearsals & performances with Forum Theatre Troupes around NYC, and workshops for various groups and organizations around the US. We believe in developing a community of Jokers and Actors who learn and engage in social change efforts together, so we prioritize training, networking and community-building. As we collaborate with the movements and campaigns for justice that are active throughout NYC, our work is not just in rehearsals and forum performances, but also at rallies, marches, and campaign meetings.
TONYC Jokers are typically scheduled to work with 1 Forum Theatre Troupes each season (approximately 14 weeks each spring and fall), in collaboration with a co-joker. Weekly rehearsals are 1.5-2 hours with 8-14 actors at a partner organization’s space, and culminate in 2-3 public Forum performances. Jokers are expected to plan with their co-joker, support the TONYC office in preparing for the performances, attend monthly company facilitation practice sessions (aka “Joker Workouts), and participate in occasional program meetings and public events.
We are looking for experienced facilitators who have used Theatre of the Oppressed. Ideal experience and skills include:
• A facilitation practice
• Engagement with undoing systems of oppression in one's profession or community
• Familiarity with event/performance production
• Google Drive
• Openness to dialogue & feedback about their own practice
• Public speaking
• An artistic practice
• Collaboration in an artistic practice or in facilitation
• Fluent in Spanish
Responsibilities of TONYC Jokers
Plan with co-joker to:
• Facilitate rehearsals, performances, and a celebration for the troupe
• Support actors’ participation by communicating schedule, planning transportation & food
• Maintain reports & evaluations as requested by the administrative staff
• Plan basic costumes, props & sound cues
• Provide play & troupe information in a timely manner for marketing purposes
• Communicate promptly with the TONYC office any personal, partner, or actor updates that will impact rehearsals or performances
Engage in TONYC’s ongoing planning & learning via:
• Attending staff & partner meetings and advocacy partner events
• Participating in monthly joker workouts & internal trainings
• Engaging with TONYC’s anti-oppression principles
Compensation: Jokers are employees of TONYC and paid an hourly rate for facilitation of rehearsals, shows, workshops, and attendance at public organizing events that involve their troupe. For a typical weekly rehearsal, a joker receives $125.00-$175.00, depending on facilitation expertise and additional administrative time. Additionally, hourly staff are paid $25/hour for production administration and $20/hour for internal training time, travel out of NYC, or attendance at social justice-related public events when requested by TONYC.
Applications received before December 3rd, 2018 will be considered for TONYC’s fall programs. TONYC will contact potential candidates for an initial phone interview. Qualified applicants will be invited for an in-person interview and a facilitation practice session with TONYC jokers. This application will stay open and later applicants will be reviewed and contacted on a rolling basis. Any questions about this application can be emailed to Sulu LeoNimm at firstname.lastname@example.org.