Forum Theatre for Community Action (Level 2 Joker Training)
Dates: February 7-9, 2020. Friday-Sunday from 10am-5pm
****Note: We strongly prefer that participants attend the entirety of the training. Please note each day’s schedule and check your travel plans. Contact Sulu at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Location: Midtown Manhattan (Address will be sent to registered workshop participants)
Facilitators: Liz Morgan & Donnay Edmund
Description: This workshop provides the opportunity for facilitators to reflect on their facilitation in community with Theatre of the Oppressed practitioners, and engage a rigorous exploration of how to incorporate anti-oppression methodology inside of the work of Theatre of the Oppressed. Participants will lead Forum Theatre games and exercises, share roadblocks they've experienced, and receive feedback from the TONYC jokers and fellow workshop participants. This workshop is best suited for individuals with prior facilitation experience.
- Review and deepen knowledge of the theory and politics that are the foundation of TO.
- Practice facilitating games, learn from the practice of your fellow participants and have the opportunity to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Evaluate your practice based on three essential elements of jokering: accuracy, style and ethics. Discuss the adjustments necessary to meet the needs of different communities.
- Practice jokering a forum scene, and receive constructive feedback.
- Ask questions. Access resources. Build networks.
- Standard Rate: $400.00 (There is currently a waiting list for these spots)
Half-Price Scholarship Rate: $200.00 by application. (There is currently a waiting list for these spots.)
- Payment information: A non-refundable $50 deposit is required to reserve your spot. The balance of your workshop fee is due 2 weeks before the training. Advance payment of workshop fees supports TONYC in opening spots to people on the waiting list. If your access to funds means you need a payment plan or adjusted payment schedule, please contact Sulu at email@example.com.
Application: To sign up for the waiting list, please apply via this link: https://forms.gle/xnKESbCX8uMLFu26A. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will receive a response within 2 weeks. Applicants will need to confirm their spot and send a non-refundable $50 deposit. Training fees paid to TONYC are non-refundable during the 7 days before the training, and may not be credited to a future training. Exceptions will only be considered at TONYC's discretion.
- If a group or organization is planning to apply for a group of participants, please submit individual applications, and include your affiliation in the “About Me” section. You are welcome to email Sulu LeoNimm at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about applications and payment.