In early 2017, TONYC will offer two weekend-long joker training workshops: Level 1 and Level 2. Dates, schedules, descriptions & rates are listed below. Please be aware that we prefer that workshop participants attend the full time of the training, so we recommend that you review the schedule before booking your travel plans. Please contact Sophie Nimmannit at email@example.com if you have any questions about the workshops.
Rate & Discount Information: Individuals and organizations can select their rate and/or identify their own size, based on ability to pay and access to resources. TONYC’s public workshops contribute to funding our Forum Theatre Troupes.
- Available discounts:
- Organizations receive a 10% discount when registering more than one staff member.
- A 10% discount is also available for anyone registering for both Level 1 & Level 2.
- TONYC does not currently have an open application process for scholarships. We offer the subsidized scholarship spots in these trainings to actors from our Forum Theatre troupes who are part of our joker-in-training program.
Level 1 Joker Training - January 27th-29th, 2017
*Registration is closed
Schedule: Friday 6:30pm - 9pm, Saturday 10am-6pm, Sunday 10am-8pm (Sharing of forum plays for invited guests will take place on Sunday evening 6pm-8pm)
Location: Long Island City, Queens
Description: This training, for activists, artists, social service professionals, students and engaged citizens, journeys through the process of building and performing a Forum Theatre play from start to finish. This process includes playing games from the arsenal of Theatre of the Oppressed; telling and choosing stories of oppression; using Aesthetics of the Oppressed (clean trash sculpture, etc) to explore the story and the issues; and applying rehearsal games. We will examine the theory and politics of the work while staying firmly rooted in practice. Participants have the opportunity to practice jokering a Forum play and teaching back the games to the group, and receive constructive feedback from the group. We will take time to address a variety of questions that arise when working with different communities. At the conclusion of the training, we'll share original Forum plays with friends and colleagues.
Level 1 Rates: ($50/person deposit required upon registration. Deposit is non-refundable after Jan 14th, 2017)
- Individual rate: $325/person (Student/low-income rate: $250/person)
- Small organization rate: $375/person
- Large organization/university rate: $425/person
Level 2 Joker Training - February 4th-5th, 2017
Schedule: Saturday & Sunday 10am-6pm
Location: Long Island City, Queens
Application: Prior training in Theatre of the Oppressed (TO) is required. Completed applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will respond to you within 7-10 days.
Description: The Advanced Joker Training workshop provides the opportunity to hone and improve your facilitation skills. Participants will lead Forum Theatre games and exercises, and receive feedback from the Theatre of the Oppressed NYC jokers, troupe actors and fellow workshop participants.
- Experience the model of a forum theatre process within a community setting, from the experienced jokers of Theatre of the Oppressed NYC.
- Practice jokering a forum scene, and receive constructive feedback.
- Practice facilitating games, learn from the practice of your fellow participants and have the opportunity to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Evaluate your practice based on three essential elements of jokering: accuracy, style and ethics. Discuss the adjustments necessary to meet the needs of different communities.
- Engage with actors from existing Forum Theatre troupes of homeless and formerly homeless New Yorkers.
- Review and deepen knowledge of the theory and politics that are the foundation of TO.
- Plan how you will start your own forum theatre troupe in partnership with your community. Ask questions. Access resources. Build networks.
Level 2 Rates: ($50/person deposit required upon registration. Deposit is non-refundable after Jan 21, 2017)
- Individual rate: $300/person (Student/low-income rate: $250/person)
- Small organization rate: $350/person
- Large organization/university rate: $400/person