Each year, TONYC typically offers weekend-long joker training workshops (Level 1 and/or Level 2) as one other intensive on the internal techniques. To receive updates, sign up for our training mailing list at: http://www.tonyc.nyc/newsletter
If you are interested in bringing our Jokers to facilitate a training at your organization, please fill out the workshop request form on our workshops page.
Level 1 Joker Training for Community Action
Dates: 2018 dates TBD in April: Friday, Saturday & Sunday from 10am-5pm
Description: This training is for community organizers, artists, TONYC actors, students and engaged New Yorkers who plan to apply Forum Theatre to their efforts to engage groups in action towards social change.
The three days journey through the process of building and performing a Forum Theatre play from start to finish. This includes playing games from the arsenal of Theatre of the Oppressed; telling and choosing stories of oppression; using Aesthetics of the Oppressed (clean trash sculpture, etc) to explore the story and the issues; and applying rehearsal games. We will examine the theory and politics of the work while staying firmly rooted in practice. Participants have the opportunity to practice jokering a Forum play and teaching back the games to the group, and receive constructive feedback from the group. We will take time to address a variety of questions that arise when working with different communities. At the conclusion of the training, we'll share original Forum plays with friends and colleagues. Participants will receive a packet of notes from the training that includes games, exercises, and an outline for jokering a forum performance.
For any questions about this training, please contact Sulu LeoNimm at firstname.lastname@example.org. To receive updates, sign up for our training mailing list at: http://www.tonyc.nyc/newsletter
Level 2 Joker Training
(2018 dates TBD)
Typical Schedule: Saturday & Sunday 10am-6pm
Description: The Advanced Joker Training workshop provides the opportunity to hone and improve your facilitation skills. Participants will lead Forum Theatre games and exercises, and receive feedback from the Theatre of the Oppressed NYC jokers, troupe actors and fellow workshop participants.
- Experience the model of a forum theatre process within a community setting, from the experienced jokers of Theatre of the Oppressed NYC.
- Practice jokering a forum scene, and receive constructive feedback.
- Practice facilitating games, learn from the practice of your fellow participants and have the opportunity to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Evaluate your practice based on three essential elements of jokering: accuracy, style and ethics. Discuss the adjustments necessary to meet the needs of different communities.
- Engage with actors from existing Forum Theatre troupes of homeless and formerly homeless New Yorkers.
- Review and deepen knowledge of the theory and politics that are the foundation of TO.
- Plan how you will start your own forum theatre troupe in partnership with your community. Ask questions. Access resources. Build networks.