TONYC seeks a Communications & Special Events Intern for Summer 2017! Deadline extended to May 22nd, 2017.
What We Do: Theatre of the Oppressed NYC (TONYC) partners with communities facing discrimination to inspire transformative action through theatre. Through partnerships with social service organizations, advocacy groups and city agencies, TONYC's troupes create and perform plays based on real-life struggles, engaging audiences in theatrical brainstorming to creatively challenge systems of oppression.
Work With Us: TONYC is seeking a Communications and Special Events Intern for Summer 2017! This position works in collaboration with the Community Engagement Coordinator, Executive Director, and the administrative team to assist with fundraising and community engagement through event outreach, social media, blog writing, performance support and general administrative responsibilities.
In 2017, our 6th year, TONYC’s priorities include formalizing pipelines for leadership opportunities throughout the organization and strengthening our non-arts partnerships to amplify the impact of ongoing movements. TONYC seeks to reflect the politics and ethics of our programs throughout every aspect of our organization. Join a team that values social action, creative problem-solving, and a lively work environment.
Areas of Responsibility Include:
Events Planning and Development
• Assisting with the planning of Activate, TONYC’s annual fundraising event
• Outreach for in-kind donations for the event
• Assisting the Community Engagement Coordinator and Executive Director with donor development
Communications and Outreach
• Social media content creation
• Blog content creation
• Outreach to new community partners
• Assisting with marketing for shows and events
• Updating press and media samples for grant applications and reports
• Assisting with volunteer coordination for shows and events
• Observing occasional rehearsals and compiling content for our blog and social media
• Mailing list data entry on our online database, Nationbuilder
• Logging comment card data from shows
• Intervention data entry in Google Drive
• Tracking show dates and venues
• Tracking actor agreements and photo releases
Ideal Candidate Has:
• Interest in grassroots fundraising and community engagement
• Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with a team
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Proficiency in or desire to learn Google Drive programs
• Availability on evenings and weekends as needed
• Flexibility, including possible shifts in schedule as TONYC’s season ebbs and flows
• Interest in cultural organizing and/or using creative tools for activism
• Prior experience with similar arts and social change organizations
HOW TO APPLY
Apply here with your cover letter, resume, and sample social media posts. Visit www.tonyc.nyc to learn more about us before applying. DEADLINE: MAY 22nd, 2017
In your letter, be sure to mention:
- General summer schedule
- Whether or not you will be requesting college credit
- What excites you about Theatre of the Oppressed NYC?
- What do you hope to contribute and what do you want to learn in your internship?
- A time you solved a problem creatively
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY STATEMENT
Theatre of the Oppressed NYC is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages all interested and qualified applicants to apply. TONYC does not discriminate based on age, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, housing status, disability, or previous incarceration.
This internship requires 16-20 hours per week, during weekdays from 10-6 in the office, and occasional weekends or weekday evenings for performances. Ideally, intern can be present for our annual fundraising gala, Activate, in late September/early October. It is compensated with a transportation stipend, free participation in a weekend-long Joker Training intensive, and college credit, if requested.